THREAD VEINS AND SKIN TAGS
- Thread veins- also known as spider veins or broken veins- are fine red or purple veins that are usually seen underneath the skin surface, on the cheeks or lateral sides of the nose. They are usually asymptomatic but treatment is needed for cosmetic reasons.
- Thread veins or spider veins on the face (telangiectasia) can develop at any age but tend to increase as we age. We know that genes play a part so if one of your parents or family members has them, you will be more likely to develop them.
- Sun exposure is the other key spider vein cause. The sun damages the lining of the veins over time causing them to dilate and become more visible on the skin. Broken veins on the chest and face can also be more visible during extremes of weather and can be more troublesome in the heat or cold.
- Pollutants in the environment which can damage the skin and irritate veins making them more visible on the skin.
- Hormonal changes in pregnancy which can cause increased pigmentation (chloasma) as well as broken veins on the chest and face.
- Frequent consumption of alcohol, dilates blood vessels on the face temporarily. Longer term this results in the spider veins on nose, face and chest.
- In some people, spider veins on the nose and cheeks in particular are associated with Rosacea – a condition that causes facial redness and a flushed appearance in these areas. It can be triggered by heat or cold, spicy foods and alcohol.
- Skin tags are common, soft harmless, skin growths that hang off the skin. Most commonly seen on the neck or in the underarms. These commonly occur in areas of friction. Increased body weight and pregnancy can also contribute to the appearance of these skin lesions.
- There are various causes for skin tags to develop. Chaffing and irritation from skin rubbing together, High levels of growth factors, particularly during pregnancy, Obesity, Insulin resistance and Human papillomavirus (wart virus).
Treatment for thread veins and skin tags:
Here at MKSkin clinic, Milton Keynes, we offer shortwave diathermy treatment for the treatment of thread veins on the face and skin tags. For thread veins on the legs, we offer sclerotherapy treatment. At MKSkin clinic, treatments carried out by doctors. Patient safety and effective treatments remain our top priority.
SHORT WAVE DIATHERMY
- Short Wave Diathermy is a safe, comfortable and effective procedure that removes facial thread veins and unsightly blemishes.
- Diathermy is a heat treatment that closes the broken blood capillaries which cause thread veins and blemishes.
Short wave diathermy can be used to treat the following:
Facial thread veins – the permanently dilated capillaries, caused by anything from smoking to pregnancy or harsh weather exposure.
Blood spots – slightly raised, bright red blemishes just under the skin’s surface; usually on the torso.
Skin tags – these often appear on the face and neck and vary in size from smaller than a grain of rice to a pea or larger.
Milia – the tiny, hard white lumps just under the skin, often around the eyes.
Warts – there are various types, all of which can be easily and successfully treated.
Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra – a common adolescent disorder on dark skin; identified by smooth, dome-shaped papules on the cheeks, neck and upper chest.
Some may only need a one off treatment others may need as many as 3 sessions.